NEWS & BEYOND
by Mary Emma Allen
Emma Allen has been a columnist since 1964 and has written many columns
for newspapers and magazines. These include cooking, history, book reviews,
restaurant reviews, gardening, quiltmaking, consumer topics, children's
stories and activities, homespun philosophy, travel, and marriage. Currently
she writes "Country Kitchen" for newspapers in New Hampshire
and Utah, "Refunder's Hotline" for a New Hampshire newspaper,
and a marriage column for The Oasis, an online Christian publication.
Mary Emma Allen also is a book author and newsletter editor/publisher.
WINTER BIRD WATCHING TIME
One year for Christmas, my daughter put a bird feeder on her list. Both grandmothers gave her one. So we hung one feeder in the front yard, where the smaller birds, like the chickadees, seemed to congregate. The other we placed in the back yard, where the bluejays and woodpeckers dined.
Bird watching is a fun activity for children and helps develop their interest in nature and the creatures of the outdoors. Shut-ins find much pleasure in watching bird feeder visitors outside their windows, too.
My mother, when she had Alzheimers, enjoyed the feeder on our front deck. Her mind was still active enough, at that time, so she could reminisce about birds in her past.
Birds in Quilts
So names like Duck and Ducklings, Goose Tracks, Flying Geese, Fox and Geese, and Bird of Paradise found their way into quilts.
My Enjoyment of Birds
One of my friends finds the poems, Lord Baltimore Oriole and Red-Winged Blackbird her favorite pieces in my anthology for children, Tales of Adventure & Discovery. (For more information about this book, e-mail me at: email@example.com.)
ENCHILADA CASSEROLE for winter meals- Brown 1 pound ground beef and drain off excess fat. Mix together the beef, 1 small chopped onion, and 1 can chili con carne without beans.
Spoon into the center of 10 flour tortillas, cover with grated cheese and roll up. Place tortillas, folded side down, in baking pan or cake pan.
Mix together 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can tomato soup, cup water. Pour soup over tortillas and top with more grated cheese. (The amount of cheese will vary, depending upon cooks choice.) large enough to hold all.
Bake at 350 degrees F. until hot and bubbly, about 40 minutes. Serve with tossed salad or coleslaw.
Mary Emma Allen has been writing cooking columns for 40 years. She and her family compiled a cookbook to preserve their food heritage. She teaches workshops to show others how to do this, along with scrapbooking their family recipes. Visit her web site: http//homepage.fcgnetworks.net/jetent/mea or email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2009, Mary Emma Allen
Mary Emma Allen's books, available by contacting the author/illustrator at email@example.com or visiting her web site where you'll find further description and an order form: http//homepage.fcgnetworks.net/jetent/mea
1. Tales of Adventure & Discovery, a collection of children's stories previously appearing in magazines, written/illustrated by Mary Emma Allen; published by MEA Productions; $9.95 plus postage.
2. Tales of Adventure & Discovery Coloring Book, containing illustrations and excerpts from the anthology, by Mary Emma Allen, published by MEA Productions; $1.95 plus postage, or $1.00 when purchased with the anthology.
3. When We Become the Parent to Our Parents, the chronicle of her mother's journey through Alzheimer's, written/illustrated by Mary Emma Allen, MEA Productions; $9.95 plus postage.
4. Writing in Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont, a resource book for writers, publishers, librarians, and teachers, written by Mary Emma Allen, published by Writer's World Press. Regularly $16.95 plus postage, now $9.95 plus postage. (The publisher is celebrating their 10th anniversary and offering specials on their books.)
5. The Magic of Patchwork, the story of quiltmaking with directions for beginners' projects, written/illustrated by Mary Emma Allen, published by MEA Productions; $8.00 plus postage.
6. Manuals for Writers, written by Mary Emma Allen, $5.95 each plus
7. Posters - autographed enlargements of the illustrations from Tales
of Adventure & Discovery or the coloring book.
Books in Progress:
Workshops: Mary Emma teaches workshops for adult and young writers. She also presents children's programs in schools and libraries
Send your comments to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the Webmistress
Copyright © Bridgton Blues, News and Beyond
All Rights Reserved.